Thursday, September 27, 2012

Transition Week 5

Brandon and I are now 5 weeks into the new living arrangement.  Brandon is living with Chris in Austin at our condo during the week while he is in school and then comes to Dripping Springs on the weekends and spend the weekends with me.  The first three weeks went great.  Brandon was very happy.  In fact, at lunch during one weekend I asked Brandon how he liked the new arrangement.  He said "I don't like it - I LOVE IT, ALL OF IT".  That was great.   I was very happy as well. 

But the 4th week came and Brandon started to realize his mom was not there.  Chris started activity time in the evenings with Brandon and they decided to go bike riding.  Brandon has a three wheeler bike we had fixed before Chris and Brandon moved into the condo.  Brandon was riding on the bike and he fell over as he was going down a hill.  He was scraped up and wanted his mommie.  So Chris and Brandon called me on "facetime".  Brandon was crying.  He calmed down, took a bath and went to bed.  The same day I changed our weekend plans due weekend work which resulted in a 2 day respite weekend and the school changed their plans for fun Friday.  It was all too much for Brandon and on Friday during his time to utilize his IPAD, he and the school called me.  Brandon just started crying and he cried on for a good part of the day.  I decided that Brandon should come home that night and asked my brother to stay with him while I went to a fundraiser.  When I got home Brandon was much better.  We talked throughout the weekend and Brandon asked me if I kicked him out of the house and if he could ever come back.  I KNOWSerious guilt.  It really broke my heart and still does.  But I explained to him that the house in Dripping Springs is also his house and he is always able to come to the house.  He asked me about where he would stay on holidays. He also asked if after he finishes school in three years could he come back to Dripping Springs.  I told him as that gets closer in three years we would decide.  I found out from these conversations that I need to be very clear with Brandon on the schedule and try not to have too many unexpected changes.  So we all got out the calendars and went over the next few months with Brandon and we will continue to go over them as much as he needs. 

Brandon also went to the UT Best Buddies matching party.  I think Brandon was very excited to meet his matching buddy, but his matching buddy did not attend the party.  There were may UT students matched with adults and young adults.  I can see that Brandon will eventually love this.  It will be great for working on socialization.  But not all bad.  Brandon met a really sweet girl "Ryan" and she talked to him about leaving her parents and moving to Texas for school.  She told him that was like Brandon moving into the condo for his school.  I think Brandon liked that conversation.  She agreed to email Brandon.  That is a great start. 

Brandon also started his speech therapy at UT.  They did an assessment on Brandon to determine where he is in his speech.  I really was very touched by how far Brandon has come in 19 years.  When Brandon was 4 he barely said one word and I was sitting with Brandon in this room as he read complex questions and provided answers verbally.  Brandon read all the questions easily and correctly.  His responses we mostly understandable.  I think living with Chris and having new people at school has made Brandon understand he needs to try very hard to speak as clearly as possible so people can understand him.  I was so proud of him.  He has really come so far. 

We are moving into week 5 weekend.  I have been incredibly busy traveling for work, taking care of Brandon logistics, getting the house organized and working on my mom's house.  But for the first time in 19 years I am also preparing for a 2 week vacation to Europe to see my brother Jack.  I am going with three girlfriends - going to Paris, Nice France (French Riviera) and Italy.  We will end up at the Truffle Festival in Alba, Italy.  Brandon is all set for a weekend with Ross and a weekend with Chris with a week in-between where I will be gone.  Looking forward to a little time off.

All for now.
Leah


No comments: