Saturday, April 20, 2019

Cancer Surgery and the MD Anderson experience

Tonight I am at our hotel room as I have a night off while my brother Jim is staying with Brandon.  I learned a long time ago that if Brandon is in the hospital it is better to have time off for everyone involved.  It gets overwhelming, tiring, emotionally draining and it always includes sleep deprivation.  This hospital stay has not been any different.  But I am always amazed at how well Brandon does even under the most difficult of circumstances.  He is very strong and determined to get better.

Before we went to Houston Brandon's friend Roger and his family put together a fabulous book for him and me on pain.  Roger made these great signs for him to use to let us know about pain.  He has used them.  I want to thank them for the valuable information and the fabulous and thoughtful Beatle signs.  All was great.


This week began with the drive to Houston and checking into our hotel close to the hospital. Knowing that Brandon may not be able to eat solid food for awhile letting Brandon to eat the food he loves has been our goal prior to surgery.  I told him all weekend that whatever he wanted to eat and however much he wanted to eat was up to him.  He went with me to the grocery store and he picked everything he loved.  He ate all weekend. When we arrived in Houston I found a restaurant that only served mac and cheese and we went there for dinner.  He was in mac and cheese heaven.

Brandon had to be at the hospital for surgery at 6:30 am.  I was a little amazed at how the process worked.  We checked in, we waited, they called Brandon's number with others and they have an assigned room for him to prep for surgery.  It was a little weird.  But when we arrived at his assigned room, Dr Ross's interns were there waiting for him.  They asked questions, the nurses participating in the surgery met with us, the anesthesiologist met with us (oh and she was form England - a plus), both teams met with us.  When they felt confident with the answers Brandon happily agreed to go back with them.  It was an agonizing waiting game.  Every two hours we received updates from the nurses in the surgery areas and we were waiting along with at least 30 others to hear the results.  Finally they called for us to meet Brandon in recovery around 2:30.  We were there as he woke up.  He looked good.  They moved him within the hour to a room.  I have been in many hospitals over the years and I was so happy when I saw the room with my own area for sleeping and with my own small TV.  I know that sounds selfish, but after listening to Disney for 24 hours a day for days you just have to have something else in your head.  


The surgery was successful.  While in surgery the two surgeons checked margins to make sure their wide margins did not have cancer on the edges.  They were all successful.  Dr Ross removed a large portion of the abdomen down through the abdominal wall including muscle.  At the skin level the area removed is very large but as Dr Ross continued to remove cancer cells and take a wide margin he narrowed the excision closer to the gtube hole.  In addition, I was concerned about a secondary site where Brandon had a fundoplication at age 1.  The area had scar tissue.  Dr Ross agreed once he opened up Brandon that this area seemed suspicious and cleared up the site and removed the entire area.  They took tissue from this area as well.  Dr Ikoma used robotics to cut out the cancer in the stomach, make a small incision where they removed the cancer and repaired the stomach.  The repair and the area removed was about 10 centimeters in a circle.  Therefore, they were able to remove a minimal amount. Long term after this heals Brandon should be able to eat his favorite cheese again.  

All the tissue was sent to pathology for further testing and review.  We should be able to tell us the stage of the cancer and then determine if more treatment is needed.  But we will not have these results until next week.  

Brandon went to his hospital room.  He was doing well with recovery.  He has a tube that was inserted in the site for drainage, he is under strong pain medication and he has medicine to avoid blood clots.  He also has drugs for Brandon's other chronic issues. Before surgery we received the results back from the CT scan from Scottish rite.  One of the things they found was Brandon has poor aeration of the lower lobes (lungs) with some bronchiectasis and consolidation in the right lower lobe to be correlated with any signs or symptoms of pneumonia.  This is not a new diagnosis.  Brandon had something similar on the MRI we did in Feb.  I called MD Anderson before the surgery to determine if we needed to do any treatments or anything special before surgery.  They basically said that we will be aggressive to treat the lungs after surgery.  We would probably have been fine, but yesterday Brandon started to loudly complain that he was about to have a seizure.  We began watching Brandon at 10:50 for seizure activity.  He really started with an aura, Brandon had a seizure, then it continued with the inability to respond, eyes rolling, and obvious activity.  MD Anderson was on it with their crisis unit in the room within 5 minutes after we alerted the nurses, then Dr Ross's interns, then they called their neurology department.  They gave Brandon adavin to stop the seizure at 11:15.  By 11:30 the activity stopped.  But poor Brandon was so sleep deprived, still unable to really communicate leaving MD Anderson staff a little on edge and watching his monitors.  Dr Ross arrived and so did the head of neurology.  I think we all agreed that the shock to Brandon's body with this major surgery, the fact that he was so sleep deprived, the fact that his lungs were starting to sound bad and lastly use of tramadol for pain all contributed to this seizure.  For Brandon this seizure was major and I think it really scared him.  The neurologist called Brandon's neurologist in Austin and they agreed to treatment to get him stable.  Brandon finally slept late in the afternoon and throughout the night.  It was pretty awful to watch.  


Because we were unable to get Brandon up yesterday Brandon's lungs got much worse.  He complained all night and most of today about his chest and his inability to breath.  MD Anderson did get aggressive, changed his medication, brought in inhalation therapy and percussive therapy to help clear the lungs. When I left tonight Brandon has was up and walking and even smiling some.  He still has labored breathing and after the walk went back to bed and fell asleep.  But he is much better than yesterday.  

We think we may be able to go home tomorrow or Monday as long as Brandon improves.  We will be back next week for the results of the pathology and to meet with Dr Ikoma and hopefully to remove the drainage tube.  

Many people reached out to me before we headed to MD Anderson with lots of great information.  I have read most of the things people sent.  But I have to say I find this book intriguing.  As I walk around MD Anderson and I think back to my school days I am slightly shocked at how many people are being treated for cancer.  I have to think about my school days and I didn't know that many people with cancer.  I could count them on my hand.  Today I know many many people with cancer and I have to wonder what is the cause for what appears to me as a major increase.  I think you have to put many factors together but I find this book very informed with solid information and recommendations on treatment that is not through conventional means.  I am considering changing Brandon's regiment and diet to more closely mirror some of these recommendations.  I share this with you in case you may be interested.  




and now goodnight.  
Leah









8 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your very informative blog entry. It does sound like Brandon is receiving excellent care and attention. I'll continue to pray for Brandon and for you too. Do rest as much as you can before you get home. I know you know the drill. Hoping for a very good Easter for both of you!

Slim said...

looks like he's progressing well. Holding my breath on the pathology report. Slim - Back from St. Maarten.

Roger Hausler said...

Hi Brandon and Mrs Leah. This is Roger. Just got back from Easter church. My mom and dad read your story and told me about it. You're welcome for my Beatles art. Glad it helped. My favorite picture is you walking. Keep walking. Then you can walk out of there and come home.

Christine B said...

Leah, I am always impressed reading your blog about Brandon. God be with you! About cancer, I thought of this song..... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WsQyru5ACmA

Christine B said...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WsQyru5ACmA

Christine B said...

I guess you will have copy & past to hear the song, Cancer by Joe Jackson

Christi Bacot said...

Thank you for the update. Hugs and love to all.

Florence said...



I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!