Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Transition Day 3

Well I cant believe it.  Brandon is now three days into living with his companion (Chris) and I could not ask for any better.  I took Brandon to the condo on Sunday to prepare for school the next day and for him to live with his companion and work with Ross each school day.  Brandon spent the night Sunday night, went out for supplies and food to prepare for the week and happily went to bed ready for school.  Chris got Brandon up for the morning routine and took him to the bus stop.  The school reported Brandon was happy and engaged.  Chris reported Brandon was happy and Ross reported Brandon was happy.  SO I AM HAPPY. 

I told Chris that Brandon could call me last night.  I was out running errands and rushed back to the house because Brandon is now using FaceTime to call me.  I need WiFi to get a good signal.  I made it back here at 7:45 thinking he would call at 8:00.  A little after 8:00 Chris called and said Brandon told him he was good and didn't need to talk to me.  WHAT.  He doesn't need his mommie!!!!!  I has so happy for Brandon but having mixed feelings for me.  I think we are both transitioning and perhaps Brandon is transitioning better than me.  Tonight I had Brandon call so I could check for myself.  Sure enough.  Brandon as very happy, not agitated and seemed very comfortable in his own home.  I know there will be ups and downs as we continue down this path, but I could not ask for a better start.  Chris thanked me for letting him work with Brandon and I cant thank him enough for being the great guy he is.  It also helps that Brandon's bud Ross is there everyday and many people from the school are the same.  I think it also helped that we lived at the condo for 1 year and had many respite weekends and travel days leaving Brandon with other people on a regular basis.  For him this is the same.  It is also great that Brandon's seizures have stopped.  I think Brandon is very confident with his health at the moment. 

Now we have to work through the logistics of making sure everyone knows the schedule, the updates, having the right supplies and medicines and getting Brandon out in the community.  We already have Brandon ready for "We are the Chorus".  The group will be working on Love Songs.  Brandon has a social Wednesday and soon special Olympics bowling. We also are starting Brandon trying independent tasks such as laundry, making his own food, setting out clothes, shaving and brushing his teeth, etc.  Lots to do and three years before Brandon graduates from school. 

I am also working on trying to get Brandon working at the KOOP.  Brandon will go back to the hospital for work this year, have swimming three times a week and social outings with the school group once a week.  The Adult Transition Program has doubled in size this year with 1/4 of the special education students in the school participating in the Adult Transition Program.  Many challenges for the school.  Next year they will triple in size.  So the more of a routine Brandon can have now, the better. 

A little treat for Brandon.  I bought Beach Boy tickets.  He will love it. 
More later.
Leah

1 comment:

Florence said...



I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!