Saturday, August 23, 2008

Leaving Monday

Scottish Rite contacted us this week to go over our schedule at the hospital. Reminder that Scottish Rite is fully funded by their own organization, grants and fundraising. There are no bills, no insurance to deal with. I have to say, that makes it very pleasant. Everyone at the hospital is really nice, relaxed and takes the time you need to go over the issues you want to discuss. They don't hesitate to runs tests they need to make decisions and they do them all at the site. Brandon will check into the hospital tuesday morning. They will run more tests (blood and x-rays) to prepare for the surgery. We will spend the night there on tuesday and his surgery is scheduled for 5:30 am wednesday August 27th. The surgery is expected to last several hours and he is expected to be in recovery several hours. He will spend 5 more nights in the hosptial to recover from the 1st surgery. And yes this is over a holiday. Kristin, Brandon and I decided to go up to Dallas on Monday late afternoon so we are not so tired wednesday. We are staying at Patrick's house the first night. Noing that Brandon may be bored and stuck in the bed for two weeks, Brandon and I made a run to border's today to find some new Beatles books and I threw in an Elvis book. Hopefully that will help keep him occupied for the two weeks - between the new books and the news CDs. We talked about the fact that Brandon will be in pain, but the hospital will give him medicine to help. We also talked about the fact he may be sleeping alot the first few days. He is still fine with everything so far. Thanks John for the Beatles shirt and poster. He already has the poster on the wall and wearing the shirt. I will update the blog after we check in and get through the tests on tuesday. Please feel free to write messages to Brandon or me. He reads them and gets very excited.
Leah

4 comments:

Leah said...

From Kate to Brandon Hey Brandon! It's Kate. I took a drive today out to Lake Oolaga to see an old friend of mine. On the way up there I was listening to an old cassette tape that Andy record many years ago. (I have an old car- it doesn't even have a CD player!) The tape was of the Beatles. The song "There's a Place" (OK- something like that- you know the one) came on and I thought of you. In the days to come I hope you have "a place you can go" as you heal. Get well soon and I'll come see you when I come visit Austin. Please give your mom a big hug for me! XOXOXO Kate

karen said...

Hey - I wish you all the best for tomorrow. I'll be checking back later in the day to see about Brandon's recovery. You are in our thoughts.

Karen S. said...

Hi Brandon and Leah: We'll be thinking of the two of you Tuesday morning and will be sending you lots of love and prayers! Brandon - LB and Sadie and all the other critters say "happy healing" and they can't wait to see you when you're up and around. They'll be ready to carry you on their backs. Give your wonderful, super mom a big hug and let her know how much you love her! Love you both, Karen

Leah said...

From Tony
Brandon - John, Paul, George, Ringo and me want you to get well real soon, OK? We expect to see you up and around as soon as you
can!
Tony